I've tried for weeks. Some days have been wonderful. Others, have made me question my intelligence.
And I've come to this decision: I'm not in love.
I'm talking about my Mac.
After years as a dedicated Windows-based PC user, I switched two months ago to a Mac. I purchased an iMac, mainly in an effort to improve my photography and partially because I love my iPhone so freakin' much that I figured I'd fall for another Apple product just as hard.
I'm in the tech industry. I'm young. I'm adaptable, right? So why can't I adjust to a new OS? Why does it constantly make me question whether I really 'get' what the Mac is all about?
I haven't completely given up yet, but I thought I'd share a few of my main gripes.
- The inability to resize windows from any corner except the lower right. This is often infuriating.
- I can't keep the Shift, Control, Option, Command and Function keys straight. After training myself to be a keyboard shortcut ninja with my PC, I haven't yet gotten up to speed.
- I struggle to adjust to the menu bar at the top left.
- I can't maximize a window. I know that it might not make sense when the window is perfectly sized to the contents of the webpage I'm viewing, for example. But if I want crazy whitespace, GIMME SOME CRAZY WHITESPACE!
- The fact that I have to pay for software that I was already using... or have to search in vain for alternatives.
- It starts up crazy-fast.
- It hasn't crashed. (Okay, maybe once.)
- The magic mouse. Fantastic.
- The minimalistic keyboard (and no separate CPU). When my mom first saw it, she said "That's your computer?! Don't you feel naked?" Ha.)
- The graphics are lovely.
- There is no glare on the screen - I don't have to tilt it a certain way for someone to read over my shoulder.
I want my comfortable keyboard shortcuts back. The software that I can rely on (don't laugh). The workflow that I had refined and perfected for post processing my photos. The file structure that I was used to.
I feel like I made a mistake.
Have you made the switch? Did you struggle? Make me feel like I'm not completely crazy by sharing a comment. Please. For my sanity. :)